June 30, 1891, The German National Bank was organized and opened for business at 115 Front Street, Beaver Dam. The bank opened its doors with $50,000 in capital and two employees. Deposits of $24,500 were received in the first day of business.
On November 26, 1912, the name of the bank was changed from The German National Bank to The American National Bank of Beaver Dam.
Due to the growth of the community, the bank prospered and in 1924 was remodeled in order to provide customers with more convenient banking services. At this time, a new vault with safety deposit boxes was located in the lower floor of the building in order to expand the counter and teller facilities on the main floor. Four teller windows were added, making a total of seven.
In 1941, during the celebration of Beaver Dam’s centennial, The American National Bank began its 50th year of service to the community. At that time, the bank’s capital and surplus had grown to $175,000, reflecting the conservative policies of management. Five employees and five officers were required to handle deposits of over $2 million. At that time, the bank ranked as the largest in Dodge County.
In 1957, the bank again found that larger facilities were needed in order to handle the increased business. The customer service area was doubled in size during the renovation. In addition, the exterior of the bank facing Front Street was renovated, and a drive-up and walk-up banking unit were added at the rear of the building.
In 1965, a totally new concept in banking convenience was announced with the installation of TV Auto Banking. This was the first TV drive-in banking unit in the Beaver Dam area and was well received by the bank’s many customers.
As the community grew, The American National Bank continued to extend convenience and customer service, and it was realized that a major construction and rebuilding must be made. Construction began in February, 1967. The bank as you see it today was constructed in two phases so that business could be conducted without interruption. Completion of the construction was celebrated with a ribbon cutting ceremony and open house on October 25, 1968.
Beaver Dam continued to grow and so did The American National Bank. In October, 1989 the bank broke ground on a new 2,500 square foot branch on the northside of Beaver Dam. The American National Bank’s Northside Branch opened in March of 1990 with the first drive-thru ATM machine in Beaver Dam, along with three drive-thru lanes and full service banking inside.
In 2004, the development of our new branch in Wal-Mart Supercenter was completed and we welcomed our third Beaver Dam office. We offer full service banking at this location including an ATM machine.
The American National Bank has experienced over 125 years of growth, and through it all we remain the same independent, locally owned community bank. Throughout the years we have experienced many technology advancements, building expansions and additions and changes in personnel. But one thing has remained the same: All decisions at The American National Bank are made with the needs of the local community in mind. With friendly and knowledgeable staff members at three locations in Beaver Dam and “Personal Banker” lending services for real estate, commercial and consumer loans, we proudly continue to serve you – our valued customers!